Thread: Safest Assets

Safest Assets

I hold diversified potfolio of Isa and Units in various Unit fund managers. what are the 'Safest Assets' in this volatile market?

Gold, rare earth and precious metals, China Efts and UK inverse EFTs

Yeah, but you need to be VERY careful with inverse ETFs - particularly the geared ones.

Unless you think you can time the market and are not in it for the long term, I would just make sure you keep an eye on your asset allocation, i.e. 30% bonds, 70% stocks. Sell/buy when you are too far off from it (i.e. >5%).

Now is good time to average down on more equity funds imho.

Morningstar's XRay tool is excellent for keeping track of the portfolio.

Index linked saving certs . Cannot lose! Unfortunately the limit is Ģi5000.

10% each into ETF's : Gold, Oil, Global Index Linked Bonds,Emerging Markets, Russell 2000 and 10% into IT's/Funds : RICA, SIGG, TEM, M&G Global Basics and Aberdeen Asia Pacific.

Russell 2000 is an index of US small caps. You can buy an ETF which tracks the index from db x-trackers or ETF Securities (which does a GPB and USD version.

RICA is the Ruffer Investment Company investment trust. Our senior investment researcher Frank Talbot is a big fan - http://citywire.co.uk/mo...estment-company/a413037

SiGG is another investment trust, Signet Global Fixed Income. It's currently trading on a very large discount of almost 19% and has been for some time, so worth investigating why this is the case before committing.

Hope this helps. Here's some links you may find useful