I'm reading a great book at the moment called The Little Book of Behavioural Investing by James Montier - forum regular Jeremy Bosk recommended it on a recent discussion (http://www.citywire.co.uk/money/what...g-list/b418655) and there was a copy lying about on a colleague's desk so I snaffled it.

Want to be rich in retirement? Let the wife do the investing

It's all about how the traits we acquired while dodging predators in the savannah have left us ill-equipped for survival in the world of modern finance. Emotion, instinct, confirmation bias, over-confidence, optimism, and a host of other characteristics very well understood by psychologists but less well understood in the City, mean we're more or less hardwired to make bad investment decisions

Anyway, one of the many interesting nuggets in the book concerns the whole Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus issue. We menfolk like to presume we understand weighty matters like global economics, and are thus suitably equipped to do manly things like play the stockmarket.

Women, on the other hand, are generally more risk averse, less cocksure, and consequently less likely to invest actively.

The punchline of course is that women typically achieve much greater returns, mostly because they don't incur the costs of frequent trading.

Men, the conclusion is clear - if you want to be rich in retirement, you need to hand over the password for your fund supermarket account to the missus.

So, readers (of both genders): does this tally with your experience? And how have you married couples tackled this potentially rather fraught issue?

You must be joking !!! her indoors, just lurves shopping she presenly has a 6k credit card balance, handover our pension to her and retire in penury (with some very nice shoes n bags though)

I do all investment for both of us. I do everything including asset allocation, strategy building and actual investment in equities and bonds. My stance is conservative and flexible. I have started investment in 2005, and so far survived the financial crisis. My husband has no interest in investment. Generally I am more a risk taker than he is.

My both parents had invested in equities. My father lost lots of money. My mother got her own house built from the profit she gained from share trading. I like to believe that I have more of mother's blood!

My wife and I both have ISA and SIPP investments and hers ALWAYS do better than mine, even if I choose the safer route with UK equity Income funds. The way we run our investments decisions is to look at everything together, two heads are better than one after all, I seem to spot the trends better than her, but her choices of funds tend to out-perform mine, so from now on she has the final word. Of course this makes her "feel" like she's in charge which is always a good thing.

I am about to buy my first car and have looked into finance deals / bank loans to help me out. I approached the 'bank of Dad' (a moderately popular bank supported by a recent pension commencement lump sum payment).

After negotiating a rate of interest that beats all high street products for his cash, and a rate that helps me beat the possible loans, i was swiftly refferred to the bank manager - Mum...

I swiftly took my business elsewhere