Got my 'pre lay -off' notice yesterday

Well, I may be taking early retirement far sooner than I had planned to! Yesterday I got an official notice that the funds from which my job is paid are in danger of drying up and if so...the position will be abolished. Of course my boss gave me every assurance that she will do her best to keep me, etc. etc.
    My husband was "retired" early several years ago because he had been with his company more than 20 years and had, over time, achieved a high salary. Then some bean counter realized that they could hire somebody right out of college to replace him at half his salary. I know several people who are experiencing that right now- they are just out in the street, too young to collect real retirement, too "old" to be competitive in the hiring market.
    So what do you think I should do if and when the old ax falls?
    Try to find a new job and defer retirement until I'm older? Open an e-business? I didn't sleep much last night. Finally got up and turned on TV - saw all these folks who say they are earning $30K a minute on EBay...little disclaimer down at the bottom of the screen saying "This is not typical"...Kind of like the diet ads.

Yeah - those "diet" ads.
    You could "die - at" that!
    Or, probably die before you achieved much.
    Trouble is, when the food intake reduces, the body gets upset, goes into partial emergency mode, starts using food more efficiently.
    Then, when the "diet" is over, you've acieved your desired weight loss, you return to more relaxed eating patterns ...
    ... but - nobody told your body, which goes on using food more efficiently!
    Which means storing pounds even faster than before the diet program.
    Seems to me there's a major fly in this ointment!
    If you plan to retire, don't forget to allow for the chewing that inflation will do to your asset base, over the years.
    There are some folks over on the Kitchen Table that have done selling on eBay, so they can offer some advice, no doubt.
    I haven't.
    Good wishes as you make your decisions as to what to do. A number of persons on these forums have been there, and I'm sure will be glad to offer their experiences.
    ole joyful

It's always the bean counters with the ink hardly dry on their MBA's who seem to have one's career in their hands and the only people really making money on the insomnia hours infomercials are the ones selling you their books and tapes.

How much earlier is this for you than you planned? Do you have your years in and are you eligible for pension and retirement benefits? Are you a long way away from Social Security; are you comfortable with your savings plan to date? Is your lifestyle going to be turned upside down if you didn't find other employment? Did your husband seek another job after being retired early? These questions are largely rhetorical and certainly don't need to be answered on a public forum. It's just part of the nitty gritty to consider once the shock and disappointment of having one's plans disrupted wears off a little.

I dodged the downsizing bullet in the mid 90's; managed to keep being classified as essential until December 2000 when I reached 55 with 30 plus years of service. I jumped on first opportunity retirement, grabbed my pension (though I could have deferred taking that letting it sit and grow) and health benefits and never looked back. The timing was perfect in my case as it was becoming necessary that I sell my home and move back to the family home in Minnesota to look after aging parents. All of that ended late in 2007. I find I like not working; I can do something, I can do nothing - and it's kind of nice.

I do not know what kind of work you do and what kinds of skills you have, but I will make some general suggestions based on what worked for me. I took early retirement at age 59 in 1995, when my pharmaceutical company reorganized and offered me a package that enhanced the benefits to which I was entitled. It was not enough to live on, and it felt like stepping off a cliff.