Hybrid View

VBMFX-vanguard total bond index

Just curious for those who hold VBMFX (Vanguard Total Bond Index), whether they feel it is a good buy in today's market?Yield about 2.3%, effect. avg duration 6 yrs, AA quality.
    Its trailing total return listed by M* for 1,3, and 5 years as 1.56%, 2.47% and 1.95% respectively.

But it is a vanguard index fund and has only a 0.16% expense ratio. Compare that to say a PONDX active bond fund with a .79% er, or a cef such as PDI actively managed debt fund with its adjusted er of 2.12%. Since as we know from EMH (efficient market hypothesis) that markets are efficient, those high er's are just over time throwing money away, right?

Risk and reward? Why would anyone think of taking exposure to a 6yr duration for a 2-3% reward IN A RISING INTEREST RATE ENVIRONMENT.
    Awfully risky position to take for limited reward --- and one wonders as an aside, how can a "total" bond index have a AA average rating......?

It depends on one's strategy. For my strategy, VBMFX totally satisfies my needs for bonds. DEFENSE.
    If my STRATEGY is to ACCEPT market returns because I feel I can't beat them, then my TACTICS are:
    1. AA. Balance shallow (equity volatility) risk with deep risk (run out of money) according to my risk tolerance.
    2. Reduce portfolio friction whenever and wherever possible. Keep the number of MF/ETF to a minimum. Always use the cheapest MF/ETF available to you.

1- Don't be a Penny wise and Dollar foolish and let all that Lower Expense business sway you..Dig Deeper and Per How your actual $ is going into it, etc ( if taxable? Minus the est taxes too)
    2- Apples to Apples: I don't think I would compare a PONDX/PIMIX toa BND/VBMFX as since PIMIX is Leveraging ( ave 25% long?) that Unbalances comparisons and It also now has addtional Bond Sectors in it..
    3. While I call both types a MBF" ( Multi Bond Funds) and in that category?
    Add the Likes of VBIIX/BIV ( Treas & Corps) as my Benchamark( I dropped VBMFX yrs ago and moved that $ into VBILX/BIV eversince .. but expanded and added these other MBF's..)
    and if want to make it more Equal to VBMFX? I Added a TGLMX/DLTNX Mortge to it in a 66/34 weighting..
    other MBF's in my Bond Port are:
    MWTRX
    DODIX
    DLFNX